Thursday, December 24, 2009

Is it good to put a layer of peat around blueberries under pinestraw,1 to 2 inches deep?

Sure, blueberries like acidic soil, and peat will leach acid. But it's also rather hydrophobic, so it might end up repelling water; or worse, absorbing all of it and keeping it from the plant. I'd work some into the surrounding soil, maybe a few handfuls, just to loosen the soil a bit. Blueberries like a sandy soil.Is it good to put a layer of peat around blueberries under pinestraw,1 to 2 inches deep?
Blueberrys require an acidic soil in order to grow well, so my suggestion would be to use sawdust rather than peat. A good amount of pine sawdust or shavings mixed into the soil will do those berries well. Your teeth will be blue before you know it!Is it good to put a layer of peat around blueberries under pinestraw,1 to 2 inches deep?
Yes


I have 3 blueberry plants and have used both peat moss and pinestraw and pine needles when I can get it. I get a gallon off of one blueberry plant and it is about 4 years old.


I have clay soil but when I planted the blueberries, I mixed a bag of peat moss, planted the blueberries, covered with pine straw then peat moss again
Yes, the are acid loving plants, and live in forest. They have big ones in the Boston Forest, my dad brought some home for me, the size of large peas.

No comments:

Post a Comment